The Family-Run Croft

About Us


Old Pier House has been part of the MacKenzie family for over forty years. Our Bed and Breakfast service, founded by Jenny MacKenzie in the early 1990s, has grown over the years to include accommodation both in the house and in three log cabins.  The history of its land and property goes way back before our B&B and a timeline of its varied life, from medieval kilns to railways, is illustrated below. 

Jenny has enjoyed many years of welcoming guests but now in her early 80s she has passed the reigns to her grandson, Ossian MacKenzie (known as Osh) who took over as General Manager in Autumn 2018. Ossian looks forward to welcoming you to Old Pier House in the new season starting 1 April 2019. 


A Medieval Site

A Medieval kiln used by the Monks of Fort Augustus is situated on the land.
— 12. Century
cherry island.png

The Pier

Works begin on a railway line designed to connect passengers of the West Highland Line with a paddle steamer ferry service to Inverness. A track runs along what is now our road, and a pier is built for the paddle steamer.
— 1896


The Pier station closes and the land is abandoned.
— 1924

The Animals

Several cows, dogs, and horses join the family. A riding school is opened.
— 1982

The Fortress

A castle stands on Cherry Island, located on Loch Ness. A gangway is built to the bay at the Old Pier, and a village is built.
— 15. Century

The Railway

The railway line opens and a small cottage is built to accommodate the station master.
— 1903

The MacKenzies

The MacKenzie family move in. The road is cleared and the station-master’s cottage is renovated into a family home
— 1977


A small log cabin is built on site, and we welcome our first tourists to the Old Pier.
— 1985


The next generation of the MacKenzie family continues to welcome guests to the Old Pier.
— 2019